Thursday, January 5, 2012

Blogging to get myself blogging

I've always been better at starting than finishing.  In part because I can be scattered, but mostly because I like to bite off more than I can chew, trying to juggle so many tasks that I don't have time to really do any of them well.  I just do my best to keep from loosing grasp on too many of them at any given time.

Last year, when I decided to coach wrestling, I did so at the expense of writing to my blog.  For two months I didn't touch it. This year, in taking on coaching again, I made an agreement with myself that I wouldn't neglect my blog writing.

It wasn't easy, but I held myself to it.  The past two months, I ended up writing five posts, four of which I felt were worthy of being read.  I know, it doesn't sound like much, but I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment. I'd be even more proud, though, if I actually managed publish more than one of them.

With the wrestling season over and a little more free time on my hands, these three perfectly good starts, hiding out as drafts in my dashboard, are eating at me.   I'm not completely sure why these few unpublished posts are so unsettling.   I actually have more drafts than published posts.  It probably has something to do with the tremendous amount of effort that went into finding the time to write these past months.  
In any case, I'm going to make another agreement with myself.  By the end of next week, I'm going to get a couple of these posts finished, revised so they are at least partially intelligible, and published to this blog. 

This post is part of the process.  I know that if I say it and put it out there, I'll hold myself to it. And perhaps having this additional pressure will help me to resist the temptation I'm feeling right now...the one where I'd rather keep the post in draft form than hit that publish button.    

No comments:

Post a Comment